Friday 20 November 2015

Ad filmmaker Lloyd Baptista To Remake Kamal Haasan-Sridevi's Sadma!


In the times of remakes and adaptations comes an unexpected remake story, that of Kamal Haasan and Sridevi's Sadma! Why unexpected you ask? Hear it from the renowned ad filmmaker turned director Lloyd Baptista, "I have been meaning to make this film from the last 11 years. Initially, I wanted to make a Hollywood movie out of this -- film. This was when I was in New Zealand. But back then Hollywood studios found the film too off beat and slow for a remake. Times have changed, audience has too and so have I and I am 100 per cent sure that the movie will work wonders now!"

 Lloyd Baptista may just be a newbie in the Hindi film industry but the director is a big personality in the ad world. Having shot many tinsletown personalities like Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma, Hrithik Roshan, Kareena Kapoor, John Abraham, Shahid Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Arjun Rampal among others, Lloyd thinks it's finally time to move to feature film making, "I have been directing ads for the last 7-8 years and it's been a gradual transition. I guess that's what happens with ad  makers (names). Moreover I was also an editor before and direction was an obvious next step. Take Raj Kumar Hirani or David Dhawan for example," says Lloyd.

 And now for his debut feature film, the Sadma remake, Lloyd is leaving no stone unturned to make sure it makes history again. "As I mentioned I have been trying to make this for the last 11 years. I didn't know who I could acquire rights from in the past. But then I came across Raj Sippy who has the rights. Meeting him and acquiring the rights for him surprisingly turned out to be a smooth process. I guess he knew he is giving the film in the right hands. And I don't want to let him down too," exclaims Lloyd.

 It is learnt that some of the biggest names of Bollywood are being considered for the main lead. Without divulging the details on the casting Lloyd says, "I will officially announce the names when I've had them sign the dotted line." He further adds, "It is going to be a challenge for any actor to step into the shoes of Kamal Haasan or Sridevi. We ourselves are working on multiple levels. The script for the Sadma remake is being doctored by Juhi Chaturvedi; we are working towards making it a modern age story so that today's mass can connect with it. Mukesh Chabra is helping me with the casting. Once everything is locked we will go on floors. I have never been more sure about anything! 

 Well, Sadma made it's way to the history back then, we can only wait to see what wonders its remake creates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment